Butterfly Pea Tea is taking the internet by storm. This trending viral color-changing tea makes a gorgeous summer drink and is one of TikTok’s favorite drinks.
With so many colors, this tea made from blue flowers can go from a gorgeous blue hue to a deep purple to even a rich pink. Experiment with layering, changing flavors, and mixing colors to create the perfect tea (with health benefits) you will want to brew repeatedly.
Why you will love making Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
So Very Pretty – This gorgeous tea went viral the last year because of its unique and exciting color-changing properties. Its often used in food recipes to create fun drinks like “unicorn tea” and, if anything, is a wonder to behold.
The color changes from blue to purple or blue to pink and can be enjoyed hot or cold.
Where did this TikTok Color-Changing Tea come from?
TikTok loves a good trend, and we enjoyed the video from @ultraviolettea that shows the gorgeous color change. See the full mesmerizing video below:
How does this work? The acid from the lemon interacts with the herbal butterfly tea and creates a color change. You can test out the exotic color changes by adding ingredients with a PH change and experiment to see what happens.
This could also be a fun science experiment that your kids may enjoy! Plus, it makes stunning viral beverages to serve all summer long and strikes a chord with guests.
Here are the Tea Flowers we purchased on Amazon for this post – or click the image below to be taken there and see the current price.
Would we make this Blue Tea again?
After making several cups, here are my 2 cents:
2-3 minutes of steeping is probably enough. Longer, I did five, and it’s a deep dark color. Which is gorgeous.
I’d put sugar in it, but I think with the lemon, it tastes better and has a little “weed-like” or “stronger” herbal flavor than many other lighter and more traditional teas. I drink tea randomly, and usually, it’s along with sugar or with honey and whiskey when my throat is scratchy.
The lemon squeezed in it changed the color very quickly.
Important Tip – Also warning on the bag: People with pollen allergies should avoid consuming this product. As with all herbal products, please double-check the ingredients to see if this is the right fit for your medications/self.
- Blue Butterfly Pea Flower – The package came with the little bags/filters, and the box says you can reuse the butterfly pea plant tea flowers 2-3 times. I measured 5 grams of edible flowers and stuffed them into the bag. Order here from Amazon.
- boiling water
- sliced fresh lemons
How to make Color Changing Tea
- Place butterfly pea flowers into a filter bag and pull it shut.
- Place the tea bag into a mug and pour boiling hot water over the bag.
- Steep tea for 2-3 minutes and up to 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and squeeze in fresh lemon (or lemon juice) to see the color change and enjoy the blue/pink tea.
How to make Color Changing Iced Tea
- To make iced tea, follow the exact directions above, allow the tea to cool, or refrigerate until cold.
- Place tea in a tumbler full of ice and squeeze fresh lemon into the tea before enjoying.
- Add hibiscus petals into the butterfly pea tea and steep them together to create an even deeper blue color.
- Traditionally this type of tea is served with lemon and mint.
- Blue pea flower extract and tea leaves are also natural food dyes. There is also butterfly pea powder to assist in getting that deep blue color in frosting or other foods.
- Because this beverage is so beautiful, kids may find it a fun idea to replace energy drinks or fruit drinks with lunch this summer.
Stir in LUSTER DUST for a fairy drink!
We found that it tasted “earthy.” Some would describe the taste of butterfly pea tea as woodsy, but it’s the same thing.
By altering the PH of the tea with lemon (as shown), lime juice, pomegranate juice, or experimenting with other tea leaves like Hibiscus. Tea can also be mixed with cream, and some beautiful color changes can happen!
It’s naturally caffeine-free and made from the flower petals or flower of the Clitoria ternatea flowers plant.
Some speculation (like most natural products) is that butterfly pea flowers have health benefits. Some included are hair growth, promoting healthy weight loss, lower blood sugar levels, and suggestions that the blue pigments may reduce arterial stiffness. You can read more by searching for “butterfly pea flower tea benefits” online.
Related Viral Drink Recipes
Made with real chocolate, this french hot chocolate recipe is thick and oh-so-comforting.
Like viral whipped dalgona coffee, this whipped strawberry milk recipe is a fun, frothy way to mix up a beverage.
TikTok is all a-buzz with this Copycat Dr. Pepper Recipe for a “healthier” alternative to the famous carbonated beverage.
One of my favorites, you won’t believe how coffee enhances this hot chocolate recipe.
Connect with Us
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Make sure you never miss a recipe by following us on Pinterest or connecting with us personally at TikTok.