Smashing Chocolate Pinatas is one of the most satisfying dessert experiences you will have. And unfortunately, restaurants that create this one-of-a-kind dessert are super hard to find. But after we saw this viral chocolate pinta video on TikTok that busted open with a variety of fruit, we were IN figuring how to make one from home so we all could enjoy it.
The great news is that overall, this copycat recipe is far easier than you think.
Similar to hot chocolate bombs, all you need is a chocolate pinata mold, a stand, and a bit of patience and creativity. Here is exactly how to make a homemade breakable dessert pinata.
Why you will love making a Homemade Chocolate Pinata
Homemade: Although you can find a restaurant-quality chocolate pinata at Uncle Julios and Walt Disney World (Disney Springs), not everyone is near one of those places. This interactive dessert is still entertaining to make at home and works perfectly for a TikTok birthday party or a sweet tooth.
Unique: If you are ready to think outside a typical cake or chocolate dip, this breakable chocolate ball is for you!
Satisfying: Nothing is more satisfying than smashing chocolate and watching the contents all out, well…enjoying it maybe! Fill this epic chocolate pinata with all sorts of goodies that everyone can enjoy.
How we feel about this TikTok Smash Pinata
We are no stranger to making chocolate desserts or chocolate beverages. But seeing this awesome video on our FYP inspired us to create a tutorial and have some fantastic fun with this insane dessert.
- Melting chocolate – I used 6 ounces of chocolate for Melting chocolate, but you only need 4. I did make an extra half shell, just in case, but I didn’t need it. The chocolate I used said “Candy Quick” and worked well. I don’t think I’d use milk chocolate. The melting temp is too low, and you’ll risk it falling apart.
- Cubed pound cake – To keep this recipe quick and straightforward, use pre-made pound cake or angel food cake to fill the chocolate sphere.
- Fresh fruit: We loved the contrast and flavors of fresh raspberries and fresh blackberries.
- Small chocolate truffles – Chocolate inside chocolate? Yes, please!
- Non-food items – A few extras for this DIY are not food-related. You will need baker’s twine, wooden mallet, a half-moon sphere mold, and a hanging rack. Click on each link to find what we purchased from Amazon to make this reciep work.
How to Make a Chocolate Pinata
- Tie a loop and knot into a piece of baker’s twine. Set aside.
- Add chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 60 seconds on 50% power. Stir and repeat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add a dollop of chocolate to the center of the mold and use the back of a spoon to spread the chocolate from the bottom up the sides.
- In one sphere, add the baker’s twine, ensuring it extends beyond the edge. Add a little more chocolate to secure the twine. Repeat until you have two half spheres. Freeze chocolate molds for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process, adding a second layer of chocolate and freezing. Your chocolate may need to be re-melted. Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% powder and stir until smooth.
- Place remaining chocolate into a resealable sandwich bag and seal shut. Set aside.
- Once spheres are hard, remove them from the freezer.
- Heat a skillet until warm. Remove spheres from the mold and place the open side down onto the hot skillet to clean and flatten the edge.
- Fill one sphere with cake, fruit, and chocolate and while still warm and melted, press an empty sphere on top, securing the two pieces together. Set aside to harden.
- Microwave the chocolate in the bag at 50% powder for 20 seconds if necessary. Knead until smooth.
- Place the sphere onto a small bowl and drizzle chocolate on top. Let stand to harden.
- Hang the pinata onto the hook and serve with additional fresh fruit, chocolate, and pound cake.
How to crack a hanging chocolate pinata
You can also buy separate little wooden hammers on Amazon here.
What size chocolate molds for a chocolate pinata?
I use a large half sphere silicone mold. These are larger than your typical “chocolate bomb” size.
Mold Size: 6.7”×11.4”×0.16” and the diameter of each cavity is 3”
Here is the exact Chocolate pinata mold we purchased on amazon.
What kind of hanger works best?
What chocolate works best?
The chocolate I used said “Candy Quick” and worked well. I don’t think I’d use milk chocolate. The melting temp is too low, and you’ll risk it falling apart.
What to stuff inside a chocolate pinata
- Fresh Fruit
- Mini Cookies
- Angel Food cake – A delectable dessert inside a dessert, angel food cake is light and fluffy, a perfect combination with fresh fruit inside a chocolate shell.
- Churro Chips with Flour Tortillas
- Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Dippers
- Chocolate Bombs with mini Shot Glass cups
- Magical Unicorn Bark
- TikTok Cocoa Dip
Connect with Us