Cinnamon Roll French Toast Roll-Ups, made with cinnamon sugar and drizzled icing make mornings incredible delicious. Filled with a simple cinnamon roll filling, you get all the comfort of a cinnamon roll recipe in an easy way to dip!
Where did French Toast Rolls Come from?
Roll-ups using bread have been around a long time.
Growing up, we did a very similar recipe but used peanut butter and jelly (delicious!). You can also enjoy roll-ups with Nutella, smashed banana, strawberry jam, cream cheese, or biscoff cookie spread!
We were inspired to try out this cinnamon and sugar version when we saw it on our FYP by TikTok creator @fitwaffle. Check out her video below and see how easy it is to try out french toast rolls.
Are TikTok French Toast Rolls worth making?
These were good! Of course, they were super sweet since they are coated in sugar, but my kids had no problem destroying them.
OUR THOUGHTS ON THIS RECIPE AS-IS:
There was too much egg. I’d suggest one egg and three tablespoons milk instead of the two eggs and 1/4 cup milk.
Doubling this recipe would also work fine in using up the additional egg mixture.
- White sandwich bread – Take each slice of bread and cut off crusts to prep for this recipe.
- Butter – It’s always easier to work with butter when it’s softened. Pull out of the fridge about 15 minutes before using for an easier spread. Pro tip: Butter doesn’t have to be in the refrigerator. Get a butter keeper to keep butter ready all the time.
- Flavor: The flavor in this recipe all comes down to the cinnamon-sugar mixture! You will need brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Eggs – See note above on our recipe alterations for this in the future.
- Milk – Like in traditional french toast recipes, it’s OK to substitute milk for heavy whipping cream if you want a richer version of this dish.
- Cinnamon sugar for topping (1/2 cup granulated sugar and two teaspoons ground cinnamon mixed)
- Powdered sugar icing (1 tablespoon powdered sugar, mixed with one teaspoon water)
Recipe Tip: Serve with a side of maple syrup for dipping
How to make cinnamon roll french toast rolls
- Use a knife to trim the crust off of 8 slices of bread. Use a rolling pin to flatten each piece of bread. Set aside.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small shallow bowl. Mix the cinnamon mixture well. Spread filling evenly onto the white bread slices and roll-up cinnamon bread.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla in a separate medium bowl. Quickly dredge bread rolls into egg mixture, coating each side.
- Cook roll-up sticks in a nonstick skillet or small frying pan (coated with butter or nonstick cooking spray), frequently turning until all sides are browned.
- Dredge hot rolls into cinnamon sugar mixture and shake off excess.
- Top French Toast Rolls with icing before serving.
Cinnamon Roll Topping
I wanted this to have a topping since it was called “cinnamon roll.” If you have cream cheese icing pre-made, it can be warmed and drizzled. However, it’s super easy to make homemade cinnamon roll icing too!
- Easy powdered sugar icing recipe (1 tablespoon powdered sugar, mixed with one teaspoon water)
- Put the sugar and water into a resealable plastic sandwich bag for the powdered sugar icing and knead it until smooth.
- Cut a hole in the corner and drizzle it onto the cinnamon sugar. Please note if you have too much cinnamon sugar on the rolls, it will cause the icing to roll off.
As with most fried foods, these are meant to be made and served immediately. I do not recommend storing and serving the next day. While an air-tight container may work, it could also make the rolls soft.
Related Viral Recipes
- Get perfectly soft-boiled jammy eggs right in the air fryer.
- You won’t believe how easy a homemade marshmallow fluff recipe is!
- If you try any breakfast recipe with us this year, you must make an air fryer toad in a hole. One of my favorite viral trends that WORK.
- If you are looking for something savory, try this amazing and easy breakfast casserole recipe.
- Don’t knock a grated eggs recipe till you try it.
Connect with Us
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Make sure you never miss a recipe by following us on Pinterest or connecting with us personally at TikTok.