If there ever was a viral TikTok dinner recipe you needed to try, it’s this honey buttered fried chicken.
Incredibly juicy chicken thighs that not only have an audible deep-fried crunch but smothered and covered in honey as only a Southerner would. When this TikTok recipe came across our feed, it immediately went into the save file to try. And after trying -wow!
While not every recipe or idea is a win, this recipe is worth your ingredients and time.
Why you will love this Viral Chicken Recipe
That Crunch is REAL: This viral dinner recipe is flat-out perfect! That honey butter sauce is amazing! I don’t think these chicken bites would last long anywhere or on any plate. They are nice and sweet and perfectly crunchy.
The family approves: I left this out for my husband while I went to a class and asked him how dinner was, and he said, “Outstanding.”
- chicken thighs – There is no doubt that boneless skinless chicken breasts yield a similar result, but thighs provide a juicier and more robust flavor when getting down to the nitty-gritty of chicken.
- Crispy Batter: All-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and ice-cold water.
- Honey Butter Sauce: This sauce is a mixture of butter, white sugar, soy sauce, and sweet honey.
- Vegetable oil: When frying at high heat for recipes like fried chicken, it’s best to use an oil that can handle that heat. Canola oil and vegetable oil are the best options.
- chopped fresh parsley, optional for serving
How to make Honey Buttered Fried Chicken
- Add about 2″ of oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and ice water to a large bowl and mix well to coat evenly.
- Carefully place chicken pieces into the hot oil and fry for about 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through or until golden brown and crispy on each side.
- Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165.
- Drain fried chicken on paper towels and keep warm.
- In a separate skillet, add butter, white sugar, soy sauce, and honey.
- Heat over medium heat, frequently stirring until bubbly. Let bubble for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Combine with chicken and stir well to coat evenly.
- Serve honey butter fried chicken immediately.
Expert Chicken Batter Tip
Tip on the batter: The ice-cold water in the TikTok video had ice in it. So I filled the cup with 1/2 cup of water and then added ice. I tossed it all into the bowl. The mixture should be similar to pudding. Smooth and not lumpy. You might need to add a little more water.
Where is the Seasoning?
After watching the viral video you may be asking yourself where the salt, black pepper, cloves garlic, or pepper flakes are. While seasoning is always a personal option and choice you can make while prepping a piece of chicken, the truth is that we believe the original recipe is great on its own.
Viral Side Dishes to Pair
This popular recipe could undoubtedly stand on its own, but a simple side dish may take it to the moon!
Related Viral Chicken Dishes
- Honey butter is so good, but if you want some heat, try this bang chicken recipe with sweet chili sauce or go all out with this spicy Nashville hot chicken tenders recipe.
- Serve with this healthy coke recipe….or not.
- Make sure to pair this recipe with a quick homemade yum yum sauce recipe.
- Have you ever had Cheetos on chicken?
- The most addictive slow cooker chicken recipe on the internet.
Connect with Us