This balsamic vinegar sliced tomato salad smothered in red onions and fresh herbs make a perfect tomato side dish platter.
Delicious sweet flavors paired with the pop of red onion make this colorful, easy side dish recipe a winner with prep in under 15 minutes.
Why you will love making Tomato Basil Salad
Quickest Summer Side Dish Ever – Quick dishes are not always synonymous with great dishes. But sliced tomato salad with the tangy taste of balsamic is one of the quickest preps ever.
And while we do recommend letting tomatoes officially marinate in garlic and vinegar mixture, the truth is that you still get quite a bit of full-figure flavor even if you don’t have that time. Bright & Beautiful -Tomatoes are so light, refreshing, and juicy that you will marvel at this fresh, beautiful summer salad!
Using red tomatoes or colorful heirloom tomatoes makes no difference, and both result in a satisfying salad.
- large fresh tomatoes – Serrated edged knife works excellent for thinly sliced larger tomatoes.
- red onion
- balsamic vinegar (or use red wine vinegar)
- juice of half a lemon
- Herbs and Seasonings – chopped fresh basil, chopped fresh parsley, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and minced garlic.
How to make Marinated Tomatoes
- Slice ripe tomatoes about 1/4″ thick and place them onto a serving platter or in a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Mix red onion, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, basil, and parsley, and drizzle on top of the tomatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate tomato slices, marinating for at least 2 hours, flipping tomatoes halfway through marinating. Serve with salt and pepper.
Fresh Tomato Salad Tips
Type of tomatoes – We love using vine-riped tomatoes or large beefsteak slicing tomatoes for the best presentation. There are a variety of tomato salad recipes that include cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, and those work best when you are using mozzarella balls.
Fresh herbs only! There is nothing worse than dried herbs layering beautiful fresh fruits and veggies. It just doesn’t work for a beautiful look OR a beautiful flavor profile. Always use fresh basil leaves and fresh parsley for salads.
Bursting with fresh flavor, this simple salad recipe is great for the gardener in tomato season, with many homegrown tomatoes to use up!
Try sprinkling some feta cheese or goat cheese on this tomato mixture!
How long will marinated tomatoes last in the fridge? Juicy tomatoes begin getting soft and leaking out all that juice once cut, so we recommend making and eating it within a day.
However, property sealed in an airtight container, sliced tomatoes can last approximately 2-3 days and be served as a pairing with burgers, chicken, or left as a meal on its own.
Related Summer Salad Recipes
- Another famous salad recipe widely circulated as Jennifer Aniston’s favorite salad recipe. True or not true, give this delicious side dish a try!
- Enjoy itty bitty vegetable cuts in this Shirazi Salad Recipe that also doubles as a hearty dip.
- So much fantastic flavor during the summer months with this aptly named Hot Girl Summer Salad Recipe.