Creamy on the inside, crunchy on the outside, bubble potato pillows are TikTok viral for a reason.
With freshly mashed Russet potatoes and the perfect amount of seasoning, this recipe for fried potato pillows is one of the most addictive snacks ever.
Where did this Crispy Potatoes recipe come from?
Many viral side dishes have been popping up throughout the past year and we cannot get enough. From Jeremy Schecks recipes to those 15-hour accordion potatoes (I have yet to attempt) the world loves its potatoes.
This particular creamy crunchy bubble potato recipe was visiting FYP everywhere by creator @msshiandmrhe.
See the full recipe video below:
Why you should make TikTok Bubble Potatoes
SUPER TASTY: I would describe this recipe as deep-fried mashed potatoes with a soft center and crunchy outside. Delicious, tasty, and all things mouthwatering.
- Russet potatoes – Truly, any potato could be used in this recipe, but Russet has such a rich deep well-known flavor and holds up when it comes to frying.
- All-purpose flour + cornstarch
- Salt and black pepper – It’s also fine to add some white pepper and garlic powder for extra flavor.
- Vegetable oil for frying – You may be tempted to use other oils like avocado oil or olive oil. Still, I find that vegetable oil or canola oil is the best for frying. It’s less expensive and lets the potato taste shine through.
- Ketchup or other dipping sauces (like ranch) for serving
How to make Potato Pillows
- Wash Russet potatoes and make a shallow cut around the center of the potato. Place into a saucepan filled with water, making sure the water covers the potatoes about 1″.
- Heat pan on medium-high heat until potato is tender, which takes about 40 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, the potato is fork-tender, drain hot water and place ice and cold water into the saucepan. Let potato stand for five minutes. If the ice melts completely, add more ice. Drain water and gently peel off the skin and discard.
- Place potatoes into a mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- Add flour and cornstarch and season with salt and pepper. Mix the potato mixture well, and use your fingers to mix the dough and knead it.
- Divide the dough into smaller pieces and roll out into a large hot dog shape (see image). Slice the hot dog into 1″ rounds and then shape the rounds before frying. Repeat until all dough is cut.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat for five minutes. Working in batches, if necessary, add potatoes and heat for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain bubble potatoes on paper towels.
- Heat the same oil on high for 3 minutes and place the potatoes back in the oil for 1-2 minutes or until a deeper brown. Drain on paper towels. Add a little extra salt if you like.
- Serve potato pillows with a dipping sauce like ranch or ketchup.
Did TikToks Crunchy Potato Pillows work?
- The skin of my potato didn’t entirely slide off in one piece like in the video, and I showed what happened, but it was super easy to slide off. There are many ways to boil potatoes so it’s not a show stopper.
- Were these cooked potatoes worth the hype? 100% all day long!! If you are looking for a creamy, tasty bite with that delicious golden brown crunch, plan for a seriously tasty potato side dish.
- I noticed places where there were “eyes” on the potato, the skin stuck more there, and I ended up cutting parts off and cutting a few dark spots that I noticed after cooking and peeling the potato. I would peel and boil the chunks if I made this again.
- This recipe is a great use for leftover potatoes.
Related Side Dish Recipes
- This fiesta corn casserole recipe is almost better than traditional corn casserole!
- Stay away from soggy green beans by using an Air Fryer.
- Side Dish, main dish, lunch dish – no matter how you slice it, TikTok Ramen is one of the best recipes ever.
- Nothing says homemade love like a southern baked macaroni recipe.