This year, I could get behind roasted garlic, one of the TikTok food trends. While I commonly purchase minced garlic by the gallon from the store, the fragrant fresh smell of roasted garlic cloves emanating from the oven is worth the warm garlic clovers that pop right out.
While garlic dip comes to mind, there are tons of ways to enjoy fresh garlic heads, and TikTok has given us the perfect solution to whole-bulb garlic that is usable in various recipes.
So if you need a garlic kick, this recipe is for you, GARLIC LOVERS!
Why you will love roasting fresh garlic
Did you know that garlic cloves are spreadable? Unlike minced garlic that piles up, roasting cloves make garlic a perfectly spreadable and delicious way to enjoy garlic bread, dips, salad dressings, or even use in your favorite viral recipes for the most perfectly aromatic and delicious flavors ever.
Incredibly savory, roasting garlic in the oven fills your house with the most delicious recipe smell…without making a recipe.
We are all about food trends! This TikTok food trend from 2021 taught everyone how to make the perfect golden brown and caramelized cloves of garlic ever.
Did this TikTok Recipe work?
We know how you love to see if it worked..it did! Roasting garlic is easy, and a TikTok food trend went RIGHT. Once you have garlic done, make sure to make a fresh batch of garlic butter as seen below (sure to become one of your favorite recipes)!
- Four whole fresh heads garlic (raw garlic) – Unlike many fruits and vegetables, there is no wrong or right way to pick out a head of garlic. Just make sure the
- Virgin olive oil – Olive oil not only provides excellent flavor but keeps the bulb fresh and moist. You want to make sure that the oil and the foil help keep the raw garlic from not only burning but drying out.
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper – Everything tastes better with salt and pepper.
- Crushed red pepper – While red pepper isn’t necessary to roast garlic, this viral recipe site always loves to try the TikTok recommendations, and this is what our FYP was blowing up with. Red pepper flakes contain a burst of flavor and bring garlic next level. Delicious.
How TikTok Roasts Whole Garlic
- Preheat the oven to 400 and grease a small baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut the top quarter off each head of garlic, peel away the outer layers, and discard. You must expose the tops of the cloves themselves when cutting. This allows the garlic to sit snuggly in its little pouch and make the most of the oven.
- Place garlic, cut side up, into prepared baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Cover heads of garlic loosely with aluminum foil, leaving a bubble of air between the garlic and the foil, making sure the foil doesn’t touch the garlic.
- Roast for 45-60 minutes or until garlic is caramel in color and not burnt. Remove from oven and let the garlic cool before using.
- To use, pop cloves out of the skin, squeezing from the bottom. Use garlic by mashing and placing in dishes or spreading on toasted bread.
- Store unused roasted cloves covered in a jar in the refrigerator.
You can roast individual cloves, but that doesn’t mean you should. I recommend roasting garlic right in raw garlic heads, so they are perfect and provide a gentler flavor. You may be frustrated with the change of timing and how fast and unpredictable cloves can be when cooked separately.
Garlic can be cooked in the microwave, but I wouldn’t call it “roasted.” Nor would I recommend it. You will miss out on the sweet roasted flavors by using a microwave. If you are looking for the perfect way to roast garlic, the oven is worth the time. Remember, taste over time savings every time!
Spread sweet caramelized garlic on crusty bread as a mix-in for creamy garlic mashed potatoes, an ingredient topper for baked potatoes, mix in TikTok ramen, add to these crispy crunchy tiktok potatoes, spread on tortilla pizza crust, or add to savory recipes in place of garlic powder or jarred minced garlic. Amazing garlic can be used in just about anything!
Related Popular Recipes
Connect with Us