Stuffed pancake pockets, made with pancake batter and a spatula, are a new breakfast trend worth testing and frying in your kitchen.
See how these deep-fried portable pancakes might be better than the old-fashioned flat cakes you grew up with.
Why you will love making Pancake Pockets
New way for an old favorite – Fluffy pancakes are a time-honored breakfast tradition and everyone, from child to adult, loves them.
But 2022 has been a great time to really elevate the pancake batter, and from this tiktok famous french toast waffle recipe to these fun pancake pockets, breakfast is fun again!
Stuff with your favorite goodies – From fresh fruit to chocolate and marshmallows, the fun in pancake pockets is stuffing with your favorite ingredients.
Where did Spatula Stuffed Pancakes Start?
Trending viral breakfast recipes are running around all year! We initially saw pancake pockets on tiktok creator @imsofate.fareal, and you can watch the entire stunning video below.
Did this pancake recipe work?
I believe so, but you must dip it twice, and the smoother the batter, the better. I struggled to get the pocket off the spatula, and I’m not sure why, but I had to scrape the edges and all around.
It didn’t slide off like the video for us. If we tried this viral recipe again, I think it might be worth testing rubber spatulas or a silicone spatula, although that may be a miss for the golden fried batter.
The outside is crispy and crunchy, and then the inside is soft. They were great with fruit and Nutella. They would be good with syrup, but it seems like it defeats the purpose of making a pocket.
A downside would be that you can only make one at a time because you have to hold and flip the spatula, but they do fry quick, about 2 minutes total! Or maybe it’s because my oil was very hot.
- Pancake mix – I used a Bisquick mix of pancake mix (2 cups mix, two eggs, and 1 cup milk), so it’s a pretty plain and sugarless pancake mix. With this mixture, I’d say you can make 10-12 pockets.
- vegetable oil –
How to make Pancake Pockets
- Combine pancake batter ingredients into a mixing bowl. Make sure the pancake batter mix is smooth. If there are bumps, use an electric mixer or blender to mix them well.
- Heat a saucepan full of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Dip the spatula into the pancake mix and let excess drip. Carefully dredge into hot oil, cooking on both sides for 1 minute.
- The pancake pocket will bubble and begin to brown. Remove from the oil and dip into the batter again.
- Dredge into the hot oil, cooking for one more minute or until golden brown.
- Use a thin icing knife to gently loosen the pouch off of the spatula and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all pancake pockets are fried.
- To serve, spread hazelnut chocolate onto one side of the pocket and fill the pocket with fresh fruit.
Stuff and Top Portable Pancake Pockets
We suggest chopped fresh fruit such as bananas, strawberries, and a drizzle of hazelnut chocolate spread or honey. Other options to add are powdered sugar or a cinnamon sugar blend.
Try cheese fillings or eggs and bacon stuffed to skip the sweet.
Bavarian cream filling, Nutella, or strawberry jam might also make a fun center.
Related Viral Breakfast Recipes
- TikTok Cinnamon Rolls Recipe uses store-bought canned rolls with simple homemade ingredients to take them to Cinnabon’s next-level dupes.
- The ultimate Sunday breakfast casserole recipe that takes just about every morning flavor and rolls it into perfection.
- Love eggs but sick of the shells? Try no peel hard boiled eggs in the oven.
- Cinnamon roll french toast roll ups – yes, please, for these on-the-go breakfast snacks.
- Light, easy – try TikTok Oatmeal Crepes!
- Looking for some savory recipe ways to start the day? Try a jammy eggs recipe, TikTok’s famous grated eggs on toast, or an all-in-one air fryer toad in a hole recipe.
Connect with Us
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Make sure you never miss a recipe by following us on Pinterest or connecting with us personally at TikTok.