Air fryer toad in a hole is an all-in-one breakfast that tastes just as good for dinner!
This simpler version of the English dish “toad in a hole” is made with sandwich bread, an egg, and bacon. Delicious, looks great on a plate and creates virtually no kitchen mess, the trendy air fryer recipe makes a perfectly cooked meal in minutes.
Why you should make TikTok Egg in a Hole
Comfort Food: No doubt that this quick and easy recipe is total comfort food. The combination of bread, egg, and meat is not only filling but provides a complete meal in 12 minutes.
It Works: Not all viral dishes are A+ grade, but this recipe was. While you may want to experiment on the timing with the type of egg (runny like jammy eggs or more hard-boiled), this recipe worked, and we give it a thumbs up for ease and creativity.
- white bread
- salt and pepper
- everything bagel seasoning
How to make Air Fryer Toad in a Hole
- Place slice of bread into the air fryer basket.
- Using the back of a spoon, gently press a divot into the bread, that will fit the raw egg.
- Crack the egg and place it in the center of the bread.
- Drape 2 slices of bacon around the egg on the bread.
- Season with salt, pepper and everything bagel seasoning.
- Turn the air fryer to Air Crisp and cook for 12 minutes at 360.
- Remove from air fryer and serve immediately.
How we felt about this Viral Breakfast Recipe
This was GOOD! I didn’t cook mine as long as the original recipe, and It was perfect. I loved the way the egg was a little runny. You could certainly cook it longer if you wanted to.
The overlapped bacon was chewier, which reminded me of Canadian bacon, but was delicious.
The only thing that might make this a smidge better is to add butter to the one side (top) of the bread.
Variations in Air Fryer Brands
We tested this original TikTok Video recipe with our 6.5 quart Ninja Foodi and a different air fryer brand.
Our second air fryer experiment for 12 minutes was a cooked center, not a little gooey like the Ninja Foodi. You might need to experiment with different appliances to get the egg exactly how you want it.
Why is toad in a hole called toad in a hole?
Toad in a hole or toad in THE hole is a pretty interesting name. Origins of this recipe date as far back as the 1700s, with the first significant mention being in Mrs. Beeton’s iconic Book of Household Management. This book taught families how to conserve food by reusing and adding meat to bread dishes.
Further on in history, a chef took this dish and developed a signature dish for a golf club restaurant. Legend says that a golfer dropped a golf ball right into the hole, and it bounced out due to a toad sleeping in that hole.
What we have learned making recipes is no matter how far back they go, when they are delicious, they often resurface in generations to come with current changes.
English or American?
The English version is typically made with budding batter and sausage or pastry squares.
This Americanized version is made with white sandwich bread and bacon. Over time recipes, often of the same name, get altered per region and period. We are focused on the TikTok Toad in a Hole version; this follows the original video recipe.
Serve Toad in a Hole with
- Breakfast sausage links – any beef sausages or even chicken breakfast sausage links work as an excellent side dish for this meal.
- Onion gravy – Smother toad in a hole with homemade gravy.
- Hashbrowns – Hash browns are always a welcome sight with a breakfast dish.
- Chives – A little bit of green goes excellent on the golden brown bacon! Add fresh chives or sliced green onions for additional flavor and color.
Related Air Fryer Recipes
- Incredibly juicy and perfectly cooked Air Fryer Chicken Thighs.
- Making a big breakfast spread? Try adding this quick and easy air fryer biscuits recipe or family friendly breakfast casserole to the menu.
- Hold up! This giant air fryer cookie recipe is so cool!
- Crispy air fryer green beans make a great side dish or a snack.
- Learn how to make air fryer onion petals without too much of that goopy fried.
- Perfectly tender and delicious steak bites can be made in an air fryer too.
- Drizzle Toad in a Hole with Sriracha with mayo!
Connect with Us